Monday, October 16, 2006

Takes one to know one!

One of the funny things about Scott's family is that everyone is "Dick". The dog, Davie and Cornie are all "Dick". This tends to get a little confusing when all three are standing around you. It was quite an adjustment when I first started frequenting the Klassen hacienda to adjust to all of the nicknames, german expressions and sometimes just general jibberish. But I can now proudly say that I can partake in a lot of this now - I've already gone through a few nicknames and can even recite grace in german now (not that I ever volunteer!).

This weekend we went on a little trip to visit the in-laws. Part of this trip was a side trip with Davie to his farm. Watching his expressions as he showed me all of his sheds full of tractors, tools and various other equipment was like looking at a kid at Christmas. It was an amazing day and I managed to capture a bit of it on camera.










6 comments:

Scott said...

Good photos, Dick. Haha

Scott said...

or Mrs. Yawm. Whichever you prefer.

Kari-Ann said...

I'd write some clever comment in low german, but it's the stupidest language in the world to spell. Actually, it's a pretty stupid language to listen to. :)

Meghan said...

It is difficult to spell. Not that I could write a whole comment in it..... When did you learn the language??

Pamela said...

Oh!

KA is SO bold!

Feeling pretty brave through the blog communication, KA?

Kari-Ann said...

I work with die mennonitsche who speak plaut deutshe A LOT. I'm pretty much the only one who doesn't (even the two other "imports" have started to pick up on some of it). I've got most of my foods down - zots, kieljke, schmoenphat, and so on. HELLO - they don't call this The Bible Belt for no reason! Not a fan of any of the foods, really. White, cream gravy (schoemphat) was NOT meant to go on EVERYTHING. And perogies should have POTATOES in them (not cottage cheese). They love it around here when I mention that the Mennos stole all our Ukrainian foods, but forgot all the seasonings. Salt and pepper are not enough, I don't care what they say.

I have much hidden knowledge. Stick with me long enough and I might tell you some of it. :)